Doc. Katarína Staroňová is Associate Professor of Public Policy and Administration at Comenius University. Her research focuses on civil service, politico-administrative relations and comparative public administration. She is co-founder of the Master of Public Policy Program at Comenius University. Previously, she was a junior scholar at Woodrow Wilson Research Center in Washington, D.C., USA and a number of applied research and consultancy work with UNDP, WB and European Commission. Katarina holds a PhD in Theory of Politics from Comenius University and Master Degree in Public Administration from New York University and Central European University.
Comenius University, Institute of Public Policy: “Policy Analysis”, “Human Resource Management in Public Sector”, “Qualitative Research Methods”, “Policy Instruments”
Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA), Moscow (Visiting Lecturer since 2019): “Modern Regulatory Regimes”, “Globalization and Civil Service” at Master of Science in Global Leadership
Verheijen, T., Staronova, K., Elghandour, I. and Lefebvre, A.L. (2022, July). Civil Servants and Globalization. Integrating MENA Countries in a Globalized Economy. Bristol: Bristol University Press.
Staroňová, K., Prachárová, V., Sloboda, M. a Poláková- Suchalová, A. (2022, marec). Hodnotenie výkonu zamestnancov verejného sektora. Krajina jednotkárov? Bratislava: Komenského univerzita.
Sloboda, M., Staroňová, K. a Poláková-Suchalová, A. (2022, február). “Enhancing law-making efficiency, public value or both: Case study of e-participation platform in Slovakia,” In: Lember, V. a Randma-Liiv, T. (Eds.) Engaging Citizens in Policy Making. Edward Elgar Publishings. Pp. 71-90.
Staroňová, K., Figulová, A., Šťastná, N., Sloboda, M., Poláková- Suchalová, A. a Hudec, R. (2022, február). Kvalita regulačného procesu počas Pandémie Covid-19. Aplikovaná štúdia. Bratislava: Univerzita Komenského.
Gajduschek, G. a Staronova, K. (2021, online first). “Politicization beyond the Merit-system Façade. The Intricate Relationship between Formal and Informal Institutions of the Senior Civil Service Systems in Central and Eastern Europe,” International Journal of Public Administration, 1-12. Dostupné tu: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01900692.2021.2009858
Hajnal, G. a Staroňová, K. (2021). “Changing patterns of individual performance appraisal systems for civil service in European Union countries: toward a developmental or an incentivizing model,” International Journal of Public Sector Management. Vol. 34, No. 7, pp. 748-764.
Staroňová, K. a Rybář, M. (2021). “Personal or party roots of civil service patronage? Ministerial change effects on the appointments of top civil servants,” Administration & Society. Vol. 53, No. 5, pp. 651-679.
Krajňák, S., Staroňová, K., Pickering, H. (2020). “Ministerial Advisers in Slovakia: Profiles and Career Paths 2010-2020,” The NISPAcee journal of public administration and policy. Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 115-140.
Bach, T., Meyer-Sahling, J.H., Staroňová, K. (2020). “Top officials in turbulent times: Converging research agendas in Europe east and west,” The NISPAcee journal of public administration and policy Vo.. 13, No. 2, pp. 25-34.
Staroňová, K. (2017). Performance appraisal in the EU member states and the European commission. Bratislava: Úrad vlády Slovenskej republiky.
Staroňová, K. (2016). “Regulatory impact assessment in Slovakia: performance and procedural reform,“ Impact assessment and project appraisal, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 214-227.
Staroňová, K. and Gajduschek, G. (2016). “Public administration education in CEE countries: Institutionalization of a discipline,” Policy and society. Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 351-370.
Sedlačko, M. and Staroňová, K. (2016). “An overview of discourses on knowledge in policy: Thinking knowledge, policy and conflict together,” Central European Journal of Public Policy, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 10-53.
Staroňová, K., Staňová, Ľ. A Beblavá, E. (2014). Systémy štátnej služby : koncepty a trendy. Bratislava: Univerzita Komenského.
Staroňová, K., Gajduschek, G. (2013). „Civil service reform in Slovakia and Hungary : the road to professionalisation?,” In: Civil Servants and Politics : A Delicate Balance. Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan,. Pp. 123-151.
Staroňová, K. Láštic, Erik. (2012). „Into the labyrinth : the rewards for high public office in Slovakia“ In: Rewards for high public office in Europe and North America. London : Routledge, Pp. 248-268.
Zubek, R. and Staroňová, K. (2012). „Organizing for EU implementation: the Europeanization of government ministries in Estonia, Poland, and Slovenia,“ Public Administration. Vol. 90, No. 4, pp. 937-956.
Staroňová, K. (2010). „Regulatory impact assessment: formal institutionalization and practice,“ Journal of Public Policy. Vol. 30, 01, pp. 117-136.
Administration and Society, Central European Journal of Public Policy, Critical Policy Studies, Human Affairs, Environmental Policy and Governance, European Policy Analysis, European Journal of Government and Economics, Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal, NISPAcee Journal of Public Administration and Policy, Public Policy and Administration, Public Administration, Research and Politics, Sociológia, Studies in Higher Education, Teaching Public Administration
Workshop: 16th December, 2021 National Audit Office on Quality of Regulatory Process during Pandemics Covid-19
Workshop: 14th December, 2021 Government Plenipotentiary for civil organizations development on Quality of Regulatory Process during Pandemics Covid-19
National Audit Office Bratislava, Slovakia, 2019-2021: Training program for auditors on “policy analysis for performance auditing” and “evaluation and research methods for auditing”
Policy and Expert Advice
European Commission, DG Reform, Ad hoc Request EUPACK, June – November 2020
· Preparation of a Study on “Pay-for-Performance in the Civil Service of the EU”
Georgia, March 2018 – December 2019 (Public Administration International London)
· Preparation of training program for civil service on evidence based policy making and policy analysis (together with Phil Davies UK)
Methodological Mentor, Portugal Gulbenkian Foundation April 2018 – June 2020 (International Center for Policy Advocacy)
· Analysis and mapping report on Portuguese Policy-making (July 2018)
· Methodological mentor for 3 cohorts of policy fellowships in Sustainability Program
RESPA January – November 2018
· Analysis of the Performance Appraisal in Balkan Countries (Albania, Bosna i Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia): “Individual Performance Appraisal of Employees in Central Public Administration in Western Balkans. Baseline Report.”
European Commission, Ad hoc Request EUPACK DG EMPL, June 2017
· Assessment of the planned legal changes for the civil service in Romania (with Sorin Dan)
SIGMA OECD, Slovenia, 6-8 March, 2017
· Short term consultant on Training of Slovenian Civil service on “Stakeholder Involvement in RIA process”
Government Office, Slovakia, 2014 - present
· Workshop for heads of personnel units in central government offices in Slovakia on “performance appraisal”
· Design, data analysis and report writing on “Performance Appraisal in the EU member states and European Commission” within EUPAN framework under Slovak presidency
· Conducting research and analysis on public personnel policy practice and integrating research results into government strategy, new Civil Service law and bylaws
· Member of the working group on development of Strategy for Civil Service Management 2015-2020 and working group on Remuneration of Civil Service
Ministry of Economy, Slovakia, 2014-2017
· Team member for drafting of the Better Regulation Strategy for Slovakia “RIA 2020”
· Institutional redesign of the Regulatory Impact Assessment Procedures to create new methodology on RIA (analysis of current practice and performance in Slovakia)
· Staroňová, K. – Prachárová, V. 21.1. 2021 Blog na Denník N „Chystané zmeny na okresných úradoch by boli skokom späť“ Dostupné na: https://dennikn.sk/2237084/chystane-zmeny-na-okresnych-uradoch-by-boli-skokom-spat/?ref=list
· Staroňová, K. – Rybář, M. 2.6.2021 Blog na Denník N „Matovičova koalícia sa chce vrátiť k zavrhnutej praxi predchádzajúcich vlád“ Dostupné na: https://dennikn.sk/2414483/matovicova-koalicia-sa-chce-vratit-k-zavrhnutej-praxi-predchadzajucich-vlad/